AVK has been in the valve business for more than 50 years. When Niels Aage Kjaer took over his father’s smithy in 1970, he developed the first gate valve, a resilient seated socket ended gate valve with a lot of new technical features. He soon realized that the quality of the internal rubber components is of paramount importance for the valve performance, so back in 1975 he decided to take full control of this and acquired a neighbouring rubber factory. Today, AVK GUMMI A/S develops and manufactures rubber compounds to AVK and many other customers.
High quality gate valves
AVK's continuous focus on high quality and innovation has paved the way for a global reach, and the gate valve range has been widened substantially to meet local requirements around the world. Today, AVK offers gate valves according to global standards and with a wealth of end connections and material configurations – in total more than 150 variants to meet the requirements from AVK International’s region, and more than 500 variants in total from the AVK Group of companies.
Gate valves for all types of applications
Gate valves are often used when minimum pressure loss and a free bore is needed and are suitable for both above-ground and underground installation. They are widely used for all types of applications such as water supply, irrigation, wastewater treatment, fire protection, biogas and gas distribution.
Things to consider when choosing a gate valve
Please refer to the pages what is a gate valve, Total Cost of Ownership, end connections, a fully welded PE pipe system and accessories to find much more details. In our Insights section you will find general technical information about our products, highly relevant for choosing the right solution; our guide how to choose the right gate valve, the article about the main European standard for gate valves and how AVK complies, an article about why third party approvals can help you make the safe choice, and details about our coating process.
Design features of AVK gate valves
- Fixed, integral wedge nut prevents corrosion, made of brass certified for use in contact with drinking water
- Wedge shoes fully vulcanised to the wedge core ensuring smooth operation and maximum corrosion protection
- AVK’s wedge rubber features an excellent bonding and ability to regain its shape, minimum formation of biofilm and high resistance to water treatment chemicals
- Large stem hole in the wedge prevents stagnant water
- Wedge stop protects seals and coating
- Rolled threads increase the stem’s durability
- Triple safety stem sealing
- Thrust collar provides fixation of the stem and low torques
- The bonnet gasket is fixed in a recess in the bonnet and encircles the bonnet bolts to prevent blow-out
- Countersunk bonnet bolts sealed with hot melt to protect against corrosion
- Full bore ensures low head loss and enables use of pipe cleaning devices
- Low operating torques ensure easy operation
- Epoxy coating in compliance with DIN 3476 part 1, EN 14901 and GSK, optionally internal enamel and external PUR coating